Friday, March 6, 2015

DIY storage : First project pre-blog

Before I had the idea to start a blog about me taking on interesting pins, I've already tried some of them out. It's a shame that I didn't think to take picture of the before and after process while I was doing them, but I wanted to share my experience with them anyway.

When cleaning out the attic at my parent's home I stumbled across an old filing cabinet my mother used (before there were things like computers to store important information on ;) ). As I do not have a before picture I tried to find one on the internet. It kind of looked like this (but a lot smaller of course):
So when I found this pin (filing), I just had to try it out. To find the step by step guide you can follow the link I added. Doesn't it just look adorable!

What the Pin looked like:
Well, since it was more of a 'let's see if I can do this' project I must confess I took some shortcuts. I ended up just cleaning the cabinet with some soap and spraying it with some paint. Later I added some decoration by cutting up napkins and using decoupage glue to fix the flowers onto the cabinet. I must admit this project didn't take me very long (I did about 3 coats of paint and let it dry for at least one hour in between the coats) and it was very do-able. While applying the first coat I was scared the paint wouldt be sprayed on evenly (you could see distinctive differences after the first coat), but it evened out when adding more coats.
You can see my final result here:

I couldn't decide on the placement of the flowers so opted to do 2 different patterns.

Since my walls are yellow I decided on a blue-green pastel color, I just fell in love with it in the store.

I must say it turned out pretty nice, and I'm somewhat regretting not taking the project a bit more seriously and spending some money on a base coat. Since the base of the cabinet already had some rust on it, the paint is not staying to that part very well. However the chipping is not visible from the top, so it looks really nice in my room and I've been using it to stash my fabric.

Perfect to stash all my little fabric pieces!

Let me know what you think!
If you have any nice projects you think I should try out, I would love to hear them.

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment